Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Flora and Ulysses

Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated AdventuresFlora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I wasn't sure about this book at first. I have been so excited to get my hands on Kate DiCamillo's book, but as I began, I kept thinking this is a little odd, a bit quirky. And that is a pretty fair assessment of the book; however, the plot, characters, and themes move past quirky and into more depth and meaning as the book progresses. That is when I really started to appreciate it. I especially love the illustrations, the wonderful vocabulary, and - of course - the discussion that this book could inspire. I think Flora and Ulysses would make a fun and worthwhile read aloud. Lots of kids will get a kick out of this one. I can't wait to see what students and teachers at my school think!

View all my reviews

No comments: